A home fire can be devastating and they happen more frequently than you may imagine. Cooking and kitchen-related fires make up nearly 60% of all fires in the City of Rochester each year! A good resource for fire prevention can be found from the Department of Homeland Security. We highly recommend you read through the materials and take steps to safeguard yourselves and your home: http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/focus/
- Check your smoke detectors monthly.
- Check your fire extinguisher monthly.
- Don’t leave cooking unattended.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Don’t use space heaters.
- Don’t smoke. If you must smoke, dispose of your butt appropriately.
- Do not overload a circuit: too much stuff=fire hazard.
- Never leave a christmas tree (or similar) unattended.
THIS IS JUST A SHORT LIST: WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU CAREFULLY REVIEW THE U.S. FIRE ADMINISTRATION SITE OR CALL THE LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF FIRE PREVENTION PRECAUTIONS.